Gamepedia: Achievements & DLC Features

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Twist
Contributor
Contributor

Gamepedia: Achievements & DLC Features

Post by Twist »

I would really like to see support for Achievements/Trophies/whatever-else-they-are-being-called added to Gamepedia. I think the way it would work best would be as a list with check boxes for checking off the Achievements as they are unlocked. There is already a number of sites dedicated to listing Achievements like achievementhunter.com (which is shaping up to be a very nice multiplatform resource) and the developers of Achievement Hunter might even be willing to add some kind of API for fetching Achievement data and perhaps even user specific Achievement data. Microsoft already has some API's in place for getting this type of data from Xbox.com but I think it is somewhat limited (from what I have heard it just lets you get the last 15 or so Achievements unlocked by a specific gamertag but this might be useful for automatically checking them off of the list).

Also a similar feature for listing Downloadable Content (DLC) and other add-on's would be nice. I know we could always just use a custom field for this but I like the idea of having a list with checkboxes showing what is available and what has been obtained. I have no idea how you could automate the fetching of this information though so it would probably have to be manually entered. Perhaps there could be some kind of community support feature that would fetch this information from an XML file listed on a web server somewhere. Anyone who wants to could publish a list and they would just have to share the URL which end users could then manually enter as a source.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Gamepedia: Achievements & DLC Features

Post by Conor »

Games are changing quickly, achievements are now more prevalent as the online community for the consoles grow. We will have to think of how to integrate them with Gamepedia, the checkbox idea is a good one. As you mentioned the hardest thing is finding a good source for the information. Achievementhunter.com looks polished and it's from the Red Vs. Blue team therefore I think they would be open to the idea of an API, the question is if they have the time to implement it. We will drop them an email to find out. Speaking of community we also want to develop features for our users so that information can be shared in a format that is ideal for Gamepedia. Thank you for the ideas.
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Anso »

Just popped by to agree with the original poster. A separate tab for achievements/trophies with checkboxes would be great and easy to handle. You could make so that the summary of what you've checked (like 15/35) shows on the main page if you want to.

Many sites list achievements but I, like the poster, think achievementhunter.com is the best resource.
This coupled with support for DLC and Downloadable Games (XBLA, PSN and so on) would make gamepedia a much more complete experience!
Twist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Twist »

I already input my XBLA games into Gamepedia. Mobygames has information on most of them already.