Is there any way to get the correct audio info for Blu-rays?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
adeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way to get the correct audio info for Blu-rays?

Post by adeeb »

It never seems to report the specific audio formats (5.1 vs 7.1, True HD, etc).
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Is there any way to get the correct audio info for Blu-rays?

Post by Nanook »

The technical info is grabbed from amazon, which is a bit lacking, so I just type it in to my satisfaction. It's saved in autofill, so you only need to type each one once.
adeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by adeeb »

Nanook wrote:The technical info is grabbed from amazon, which is a bit lacking, so I just type it in to my satisfaction. It's saved in autofill, so you only need to type each one once.
Thanks. But then how do you account for different sound formats for different Languages or for that matter multiple audio formats? I suppose if DVDpedia could access a source like blu-ray.com or widescreenreview.com this would not be a problem. I hope a relaible automated solution is made possible soon.

Thanks again.
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Nanook »

I hear ya. There are a couple threads here asking about importing info from blu-ray.com, but they don't offer an API to to that, alas.

While I do like more detail than most, I am fine with a list of languages on the release, and under Sound I usually just put the best format in there and the number of channels, i.e.:

PCM 5.1
DTS-HD MA 6.1
Dolby TrueHD 5.1
etc.

If it's a foreign film, I just know that the native language of the film will get the best format and any dubs will most likely just be Dolby, and the same with a US/UK film, where English will get the HD track. I don't need to know the specifics of each dubbed language track as I never listen to dubs.

But of course, that's just me, and others may want that extra detail... :/
adeeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by adeeb »

Nanook wrote:I hear ya. There are a couple threads here asking about importing info from blu-ray.com, but they don't offer an API to to that, alas.

While I do like more detail than most, I am fine with a list of languages on the release, and under Sound I usually just put the best format in there and the number of channels, i.e.:

PCM 5.1
DTS-HD MA 6.1
Dolby TrueHD 5.1
etc.

If it's a foreign film, I just know that the native language of the film will get the best format and any dubs will most likely just be Dolby, and the same with a US/UK film, where English will get the HD track. I don't need to know the specifics of each dubbed language track as I never listen to dubs.

But of course, that's just me, and others may want that extra detail... :/

You are probably right... that does seem to be the best approach for now, and I have not found any other movie catalog that is able to overcome this issue. I was hope to have a fully automated solution that wouldn't require me double-checking and editing, but I can live with this approach for now. Thanks.