DVDPedia: IMDB - Add New Movie failing

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDPedia: IMDB - Add New Movie failing

Post by Ted »

Search (Add New Movie) failing with IMDB -- tried it with a bunch on new series, including Obi-Won Kenobi; Star Trek: Brave New Worlds; Suspicion; We Own This City

In each case, the only workaround was to search on the IMDB website via Safari, copy the number - e.g. tt8466564 paste it in the DVDPedia search and then it will find on Doghouse or elsewhere

This is DVDPedia 6.2.1 running on a Mac Studio (Apple M1 Max), macOS 12.4
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDPedia: IMDB - Add New Movie failing

Post by Ted »

FWIW: this only seems to be happening with very new releases — the 2019 “Roswell, New Mexico” loaded fine via IMDB
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Running DVDPedia 6.2.1 beta 230

All the samples (titles & number) you provided are all working for me. Except the Star Trek did not provide the cover artwork.

Please also have a read of this topic: Pedia Maintenance Practices
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

So looking looking at those Pedia Maintenance Suggestions suggestions: they assume that you are porting (copying) apps to your new Mac. I did not do that, I set it up as a new Mac, I just downloaded stuff directly from the App Store (for stuff like DVDPedia) or from their website (like VLC or IINA). I did copy over the ~/Library/Application Support/DVDPedia (& BookPedia & CDPedia)

But there is nothing wrong with the old data I copied, we are talking strictly about NEW films or TV shows being added to the library. Also the problem seems to happen with recently released movies/shows not if adding an older one. I'll try adding one of the same ones to my old Mac, see if I can figure out any differences in settings between the two, etc.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

Just encountered the same bug. Was trying to add "Cape Fear" (1991) and IMDb failed. Copying the IMDb title ID "tt0101540" into the search field worked though. Thanks for the advice!!

This is surely a bug that needs to be addressed.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Typing in cape fear (all lower case) worked for me from IMDb as did the IMDb number 0101540 (without the tt)

So this is a strange one.

Please ensure you are now running version 6.2.1 beta 231
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by inthemood »

I have a similar problem. A search for any movie (old or new) will fail (no matches).

AND all my smart collections are empty!

Greetings. (DVD pedia 6.2.1)
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by inthemood »

Hi, me again. Just to add that I tried the beta 231, and that I have the same issues.
Greetings.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

FWIW, my problem was fixed by making sure that IMDB was first in my search list.

One problem that continues -- the Language field loads a bunch of tech gibberish when initially loading the movie or show from the IMDB
snilles
Contributor
Contributor

Post by snilles »

I encountered the same problem couple of days ago.

Any text entry will not provide a result. Copied IMDB numbers work fine.
IMDB is first in the list, also deselected all the other ones, no change.

Running version 6.2.1 beta 231 on M1 with 12.6
Not sure but it may have appeared after last MacOS update.
Greetings
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Also started having the same problem again -- started happening after I installed the Beta to fix the Languages problem.
inthemood
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by inthemood »

Mysteriously, adding a movie now works flawlessly. However all my smart collections are EMPTY and I can't sync to pocketpedia!
Greetings.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

Don't know what's going on there. Occasionaly adding a new title doesn't work and I've to enter the IMDb reference, but mostly it seems to be OK. No idea. Not a consistent bug for me.
AlexUK

Post by AlexUK »

I'm having the exact same issue. It occurs with all movies and the only way to add new movies is to insert the tt reference number. And this isn't the only issue I've had with the app which is still to be addressed.

The trouble is we've not had a consistent, finalized update with this app in nearly a year. I know there are people in this forum (I'll not name names) who will aggressively defend the developer proclaiming why he might not be providing us with solutions - however, this is a commercial product and we've paid money in order to use what's being provided. If the author is going to mothball us and leave a barely functional product as abandonware, then it's time to move with force to his competitors.

I'm all for showing support for indie developers, I'm one myself. I understand the difficulty in maintaining projects with other commitments, but how DVDPedia has been treated quite frankly is underserving of the income he's gaining from it.
Agentfalco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Agentfalco »

I have also found that when I click on the + and search with DVDpedia for an entry it says there are no matches but if I go to IMDB and find the entry and drag and drop the url then it brings up the entry for me to add it into the database. A little frustrating but at least it works. I hope a fix will be made soon though.