IMDb User Rating Value Grab

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
FineWine
Site Admin

IMDb User Rating Value Grab

Post by FineWine »

I believe I suggested this a few years back.

This suggestion comes from a downloaded media perspective. I've been a member of IMDb since 2000 and have amassed quite a large quantity of movies and TV shows that I have as an IMDb member user, Rated. I am also sure there are quite a few DVDpedia users who are also IMDb members and post their User Rating to IMDb.

I started using IMDb User Rating system for one reason only and that was to give me an indication of all the movies and TV shows I have watched. This has now become more imperative with today's 'downloading' ability of not only new content but previously available content on VHS/DVD/Blue-ray which is no longer available in those formats but is now becoming available as download or streaming media only. Of course the pedia's are used to catalogue media you actually possess, not the streaming media you temporarily rented. I myself so far have 110 movies and 12 TV series on my hard drive and steadily growing which I am cataloguing in DVDpedia.

1 - To achieve the ability to grab the IMDb User Rating you would have to sign in to your IMDb via DVDpedia. This would be via a similar sign in procedure in Preferences > Sites > Amazon Settings that the pedia's presently use for Amazon AWS. Except now there would be a new ability which could be: Preferences > Sites > IMDb Settings > User Log-in. Keeping in mind that there are 5 sign in methods; IMDb, Amazon, Google, Apple and Facebook, mine is IMDb. The devil will be in the detail for Conor to code this one.

2 - When the DVDpedia user is signed into IMDb, the pedia would have the ability to grab that same personal users IMDb "Your Rating" value (IMDb code = "hero-rating-bar_user-rating" and the label = "Your rating: *" ) and automatically populate a new pedia Field: "My IMDb Rating" *. [where * = your rating] We all know this is out of 10 so /10 would not be necessary.

3 - Of course this would necessitate a new Field and keyword Tag in the pedia's: [translate:My IMDb Rating]: [key:myIMDbRating]

This way a DVDpedia user who is also a IMDb user who now owns a physical or downloaded movie or TV show, now automatically knows that that movie or TV show has been watched and this is their personal user rating that was given. This is particularly important now that we are not buying physical media but buying downloads.

What are DVDpedia users thoughts on this ?

Cheers