Big Sur vs Ventura

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Big Sur vs Ventura

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (Soon coming up. Hopefully)

I have a question for the Pedia users, who always decide very quickly for a new operating system. I personally still use Big Sur version 11.6.8. and am also actually very satisfied. On the other hand, I would like to know what secrets are behind Ventura. But I'm too afraid that my Pedias won't run properly anymore. What experiences have you had so far?

Many greetings
Highway
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Big Sur vs Ventura

Post by DanThe »

Hi,

Updating to Ventura depends on the number of Apple devices you own and whether or not these devices can still be upgraded to the latest Operating Systems (iOS,iPadOS, macOS, ....) and finally if you use iCloud to synchronize your app data between these devices.

In my case, I use iCloud to sync my data and all my devices can be upgraded to the latest OS versions. As a rule, I wait until all the OS versions have been released and if I hear of huge issues, I will wait until a point update of that version release.

I am current on macOS Ventura 13.1 (22C65) on a 14" MacBook Pro with an Apple M1 Pro chip.

I have not installed the latest beta version of the Bruji apps and I am running the current Apple App Store versions which are:
  • Bookpedia 6.2.1
  • CDpedia 6.2.1
  • DVDpedia 6.2.1
These were all release over a year ago in order to work with macOS Monterrey.

As mentioned above I use iCloud and my Documents folder is being synced there as well. Instead of storing my Bruji app data and covers locally on my MacBook Pro, they are all located in the Documents folder under these folders:
  • Documents/App Data/Bruji/Book
  • Documents/App Data/Bruji/Movie
  • Documents/App Data/Bruji/Music
I cannot say that under Ventura I have entered a huge number of new entries but I have done some in CDpedia and DVDpedia. At this point, the data that I have entered seems to be saving fine. The only thing that I have noticed were the odd UI glitches here and there especially with drop down menus.

If you are not heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem, then staying on Big Sur is not an issue. Given that I am not running any of the betas proves that the apps are pretty solid but as FineWine often reminds us, backup, backup, backup.

This is rather long to answer your question but I wanted to give you an idea of my setup which is not a standard one.

Happy Holidays!
Lost Highway
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Lost Highway »

Hi Dan,

at first I like to thank you for all your background informations.

So I think it could be a good idea to wait 'till there will be a reaction from Connor.
I don't need a need OS now or in the next months.

So. Once again. TX and I hope to see you next year here again.

Cheers
Lost Highway
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

No problem.

I know that Conor is working on a new version and hope it gets released early next year.

Everyone including myself are worried about the future of these apps as detailed in the "Keep the Pedias Alive" posts.

I'll still be here next year.

Cheers!