Pedia Development Post Natural Disasters

Announcements, upcoming features,... (READ ME!)
FineWine
Site Admin

Pedia Development Post Natural Disasters

Post by FineWine »

It has been a horrific 2½ years for everyone, what with virus's and natural disasters and unfortunately Bruji and its great Pedia app's have not gone unaffected by all of this.

Conor is the sole innovator, creator and developer of these App's. Just before COVID struck he upped his young family and moved to rural Northern Italy and was just settling in there, house, schools etc, when his region has now been hit by extremely bad weather which has created once in life time floods and these have inundated his own property. How much damage I do not know.

This of course has impinged upon the upkeep and development of the Pedia's.

On top of all of this amazon is becoming a mill stone around the Pedia's neck where they keep shifting the goal posts and rewriting their API's every 5 minutes.

What are API's: An API (application programming interface) is a way for two or more computer programs to communicate with each other. It is a type of software interface, offering a service to other pieces of software.

If the sorting and organisability of the Pedia's are their soul, then all the inbuilt API's are their heart.

Please all be patient and wish Conor and his family all the best in these very trying times.
jarbochov

Re: Pedia Development Post Natural Disasters

Post by jarbochov »

Absolute love sent to Conor and family. Please let us know if we can help in anyway. Thanks for the update FineWine.
Cabin4206
Inductee
Inductee

Post by Cabin4206 »

Wishing Conor and his family good wishes and love. Hoping they settle in without any further problems.

I'd be lost without Bookpedia, I'm always so grateful to get an update knowing things haven't been good - particularly Amazon's constant rewriting of their api's.

I rely on the app so much with a collection of 4,000+ (& more added monthly) books on the system. My other collection of postcards are much more manageable, volume wise, wished I'd focused on them instead of books over the last 45 years :(

The ability to get book details off Amazon after scanning the barcode automatically is the highlight I find. But if that ability disappeared overnight the app can still stand alone, albeit entries would take a while. Shame on Amazon for spoiling this, I've bought the majority of my books from Amazon since they launched. I will buy elsewhere if they are responsible for its demise.

I'm willing to pay full cost for the latest update, the time saved with Bookpedia is immense.

Best wishes to all at Bruji.
Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I live in North Italy and I know very well the big disater in the Emilia Romagna region. I hope Conor and his family are well and have no further problems,
DanThe
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DanThe »

I too would like to wish Conor and his family good wishes and love.

It would seem that the whole world has gone crazy when it come to natural disasters.

At this time we can only hope and wish for better times ahead.

Hold on and take care.
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

oh no! We're not very very far away, but the Swiss landscapes means we avoided most flood problems. Hoping Conor's bad luck streak is now finished, and wishing him and family the best. Thank you for keeping us updated!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you everybody for the kind thoughts and the support. I apologize about the Amazon issue.

Part of the reason why the Amazon settings are hidden in a debug menu under "Amazon Test" is that their terms don't allow for use on apps that share information with a mobile app such as Pocketpedia. Also it's supposed to be used by a single individual for the purpose or promoting the Amazon products. Of course all these changes to their terms they have been doing over the last couple of years and was not the case when we started out years ago.

Needless to say they closed the my account that is used with "Amazon Test", in the latest beta version, they should be working for US and CA amazon, but not for Germany, France, and Spain that remain closed.

I've been trying to move away from Amazon since 2012 when this changes first started happening, first targeting iOS use. But I understand that their catalog is large and a lot of you us
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thank you Conor for the informative update.

And YES amazon US is working but only with the ASIN number. Title and author search are not.

Cheers and best wishes to you and your family in these trying times.
klausness
Captain
Captain

Post by klausness »

Hope you are recovering from the floods Conor. Best wishes.
Neuromancer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Neuromancer »

OMG Conor, best wishes, I'm from Emilia-Romagna too, and helped a lot of friends hit from the floods :(
Kurt

Post by Kurt »

Conor, best wishes
jacquesh2023
Inductee
Inductee

Post by jacquesh2023 »

Hi Connor

Best regards from Sri Lanka

Jacques
billyt1963

Post by billyt1963 »

Sending Connor best wishes. Hoping he and is family stay safe.

Billy
peterbruells

Post by peterbruells »

Conor wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:20 am Needless to say they closed the my account that is used with "Amazon Test", in the latest beta version, they should be working for US and CA amazon, but not for Germany, France, and Spain that remain closed.
That sucks, but it’s obviously not your fault.

However, couldn’t screen scraping be an option, at least for the most important fields?

Just using lyny --dump I get these fields, which are better than nothing:

[126]Previous page
1. Teil einer Serie
[127]Karl The Viking
2. Seitenzahl der Print-Ausgabe
240 Seiten
3. Sprache
Englisch
4. Herausgeber
Rebellion
5. Erscheinungstermin
31. Januar 2023
6. Abmessungen
20.96 x 2.54 x 27.62 cm
7. ISBN-10
8. ISBN-13
978-1786187338
9. [128]Alle Details anzeigen

Another option would be to open the corresponding Amazon page in a browser or browser windows. for easier cut and paste.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Scraping is an option, but it's a solution that requires much maintenance. If I ever implement a quick update of plugins and a GIT hub solution for collaboration it would be an option.