transferring database to new iMac

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ADC14

transferring database to new iMac

Post by ADC14 »

How do I transfer DVDpedia from my old iMac to the new iMac? The new iMac is running Big Sur 11.7.8. The old iMac is 10.15.7. I have DVDpedia Beta 6.2.1
Thanks
ADC14

Re: transferring database to new iMac

Post by ADC14 »

my old iMac is Catalina 10.15.7
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: transferring database to new iMac

Post by FineWine »

1 - Download and Install onto your new mac the latest versions from here: Pedia's Beta. Now fire them up one by one. When you first fire up a new install it will automatically create the below, so you now need to overwrite these Folders and files with all your existing folders and files from your old mac.

2 - Copy your Preferences file which is found here: ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.*****pedia.plist and Paste into the exact same location on your new mac.

3 - Copy your Data folder and its files from ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia/ and Paste into the exact same location on your new mac:

Covers
InfoTemplates
Plug-ins
Templates

AddMultiple.xml
autofill.xml
backup1Month.*****pd
backup2Months.*****pd
*****pedia Backup.zip
Database.******pd
Database.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd
Pocketpedia.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd-wal

The above entries in blue are Folders do not delete them or their contents.

AND of course do not delete: Database.*****pd OR Pocketpedia.*****pd

The Files with the suffix; .shm & .wal can be deleted as they are changed and recreated automatically again on each starting up of your pedia. You can think of them as a temporary index cache files. The Database and Backup files are self explanatory so not advisable to delete those. The .xml are again a type of index file for your autofill fields and are important so do not delete those two. You can clean these up to some extend within each Pedia's Preferences > Autofill.

4 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new mac Operating System's.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

5 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform:
'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

Hope this all helps. Let us know how you got on.