Can't backup DVDpedia

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
RockyB
Contributor
Contributor

Can't backup DVDpedia

Post by RockyB »

I've tried backing up in both the original version and in the beta version but in both I get this message:

"The program failed to create an archive of your data folder. Use the finder to make a copy of the data folder"

What does this mean and what do I have to make a copy of to ensure it's backed up to this day (sept 1. in this case)? Does the database.dvdpd file backup every time we make changes automatically or something?

I just did an entire revamp of the library spending 20+ hours on it so I'm pretty scared right now... I'd love as much details as possible on how to successfully back up my library. Thanks
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Can't backup DVDpedia

Post by FineWine »

There are several ways that you can backup your DVDpedia database.

My System is:
macOS 10.15.7
DVDpedia 6.2.1 Beta 261

1 - Every month your pedia will automatically create a backup.dvdpd file to a maximum of 3 months worth, then over-write the oldest one on the 4th month.

2 - File > Export Collection > Backup This method creates a zip file and saves it to a location of your choice. Be patient as this can take a while depending upon the size of your database. My small database of 717 movies took 1.45 minutes.

3 - You can manually backup your entire ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/ or you could just create your own zip backup file by right clicking on Database.dvdpd within its current location, and selecting Compress "Database.dvdpd". This in essence is what your pedia is doing anyway.

4 - Remember also that macOS has TimeMachine which I have always used backing upto an Airport Time Capsule 5th gen, though you can use any third party external drive and that alone has save my arse numerous times. :oops:

5 - Have read of this topic: Pedia Maintenance Practices you may find some handy tips there. :idea:

Let us all know how you get on. :D
RockyB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RockyB »

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. Ended up just backing up the "Covers" and "Database" - copy pasted into the original folder and voila it worked. Takes a bit longer than just exporting the normal way but I'll live. Any idea if it has anything to do with the amount of entries, it's getting up there with close to if not over 10 000 entries.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

RockyB wrote:Any idea if it has anything to do with the amount of entries, it's getting up there with close to if not over 10 000 entries.
Not knowing your machine spec's or OS version but yes 10,000 is a large number to crunch.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

I have a 2014 MBPro running 11.7.2 and a DVDPedia library of about 10,000 Titles with pretty big cover art and have never had any issues having it back up ... if that's any encouragement