Journalpedia?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
mpatterson1
Contributor
Contributor

Journalpedia?

Post by mpatterson1 »

Any chance you can make a pedia application for scientific journal artticles? Something similar to application, Bookends, but with that pedia style would be great. For some reason none of those other reference manger applications can get it right. I bet Bruji can.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) What exactly would an application like that need? Are you looking for a site to search the journals on or just extra fields to enter information? (I'm thinking that maybe Bookpedia could already be used for that? But I'm not a scientist so I don't know if that would be an option...)
Nora
mpatterson1
Contributor
Contributor

JournalPedia

Post by mpatterson1 »

Yes, it would need the correct fields but, most importantly, it would also need to be able to contact something like PsycINFO so it would pull up all your journal article information. I'm not as concerned with it placing the journal references in a word processor like Word. Can bookpedia already do this?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I'm not sure if access to PsycINFO will be possible since their database is not free and it seems as though licenses are mainly given to universities and research facilities.

Bookpedia can transform your entries into bibliographical information. Just select the entries you'd like to include and drag them into a text editor like TextEdit. This doesn't work with Word at the moment because it doesn't understand the process but you can go through TextEdit and then drag the text to Word. Maybe with the next update of Word this will become easier.

Nora
mpatterson1
Contributor
Contributor

Journalpedia

Post by mpatterson1 »

With Psychinfo it also accessible if you are enrolled in a university as a student. For example, in apps like endnote, you enter your libraries' specified server site and then a username and password to access the psychinfo database. It then acts just like book or dvdpedia. How about the possiblity of adding the ability to enable users to add sites and to enter a username/password? I could then make entries that are APA formatted and use Psychinfo to fill in the journal article's info. Wow, I guess that sounds like a pain.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We have a plug-in interface for this kind of thing. At the moment you need a moderate grasp of cocoa programming. You can build a plug-in to interface with any type of database. If you feel like exploring the plug-in possibility the web page with information is http://www.bruji.com/howtos/plugins.html