IMDB from another country?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
robest

IMDB from another country?

Post by robest »

Hi, and congratulations on this DVDPedia program, it's amazing, the best and much better than other ones. I'm using it since 1 year ago and I've got a question about IMDB titles. Since I live in Brazil, I'm used to english titles, but not my wife. I've noticed that IMDB has launched www.imdb.pt, they have all the movie's info translated to portuguese, including the title. Is there an easy way to change - all I need is the title of the movie - to get the title from imdb.pt instead of imdb.com? The rest, staff, genre, rating, summary, I prefer in english, but here in Brazil the titles are in portuguese, so when I talk to a friend if I saw a movie I always ask him: "Oh, I don't know, but.. do you know the name of this movie in english?". Sounds weird, don't it? Thanks for your help!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: IMDB from another country?

Post by kbarnes70 »

I’d love to be able to use the UK version of IMDb too.

Kind Regards,

Keith
robest

Post by robest »

I don't know if it's easy or not, woudln't it just change the .com from imdb.com to .pt or .uk? Cheers
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

kbarnes70

Post by kbarnes70 »

robest wrote:I don't know if it's easy or not, woudln't it just change the .com from imdb.com to .pt or .uk? Cheers
I don't think it's as easy as we might think it is. Ilve asked for this before and can't recall the reply now, but I know that Bruji are very responsive to customer requests, so if they haven't given us this one I figure it can’t be all that straightforward to implement. I’d like the UK version of IMDb because various things such as release dates and Ratings are different in the UK than in the USA. It's no big deal or anything but it would be cool.

Kind Regards,

Keith
robest

Post by robest »

Yes, it would be nice, but in UK or US it's all English instead of Brazil. People don't know the name of the movie in english. It would be nice, though hard. Let's see if Conor can answer us. Cya.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

robest wrote:Yes, it would be nice, but in UK or US it's all English instead of Brazil. People don't know the name of the movie in english. It would be nice, though hard. Let's see if Conor can answer us. Cya.
Oh for sure - it is much more essential for you than it is for me, I can see that. For me it's just a nice feature I'd like to see in DVDpedia. For you, it goes a lot deeper than that.

I've searched here now and found Conor's reply to me last time I asked him if it was possible to go to an individual country version of IMDb. This is what he said then:

"We would like to add the possibility of localizing the information to a specific country site, but at the moment that involves incredible amount of complexity. Adding an option for changing the country is not the complicated bit, it's understanding all the information for all the different possibilities that this opens up. Already with the "Also Known As" it's complicated to try to match the users locale to one of all the options listed and hence why DVDpedia does not try at the moment. If there is a standardization on how they begin to handle this in the future we might to be able to allow more localization."

This thread might be of interest to you:

http://www.bruji.eu/forum/viewtopic.php ... 407#p14813

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As Keith quoted from the the other topic, it's about understanding all the data. For the next big version I do want to try to get the basics for other countries such as Also Known As into title (which is what you are requesting) and the release date.
robest

Post by robest »

I understand, and thanks for the reply. But in this case it's not another title as it appears on Also Known as, so the movie could have 2 titles instead of only one. In this case, I would be replacing the Original Title for the one displayed on www.imdb.pt. You can try, open http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/ then http://www.imdb.pt/title/tt0068646/ You see that the original title changes. Thanks for the reply anyway!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The AKA information on .com is the same that is used for the main title display in the other country domains. For example if you open up the AKA, there is "O Padrinho -- Portugal" but in your case I would pick up "O Poderoso Chefão -- Brazil".