Incorrect information - CDpedia with iSight

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
redheadedwoman

Incorrect information - CDpedia with iSight

Post by redheadedwoman »

I'm using a MBP 6,2 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Just bought the bundle after trying out the software on my old Powerbook about a year ago with a Firewire iSight camera. Now that we're moving my audio and dvd collections, I thought it would be the perfect time to start a database.

But while using the built-in iSight camera with the new MBP to capture the scanning code, I consistently get incorrect listings. Really off - when scanning a Dylan cd, I got a listing for a classical album, when scanning a Steeleye Span cd, I got a listing for a music magazine. These are not obscure albums. If I delete the incorrect listing, and try again, I get a new, different incorrect listing. I've tried about 6 different cds from different musicians , but each time get incorrect information. I'm scanning in the only code on the cd case.

Any help with this problem greatly appreciated. I liked the program when I used the trial version, and with over 1K cds alone, I don't want to be hand-typing in the information!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect information - CDpedia with iSight

Post by Nora »

What happens when you type in the UPC by hand, does the program return the correct entry then or is it still a hit and miss? Which search site are you using? If it's set to 'All', please let me know what the first two sites are on your list in the Preferences/Sites.
redheadedwoman

Post by redheadedwoman »

Just tried handtyping in the upc code on 'Bringing It All Back Home' case - that number is: (0) 7464 09128 2. Tried without or without spaces, got different, incorrect listings each time.

Have only these sites set:
DogHouse
Freebase
Music Brainz
Discogs
ArkivMusic

very puzzled, thanks for the help.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Hm, you're right. The only result I get when using that UPC is from ArkivMusic which is obviously not the correct one since they are a classical music website. I wasn't able to match the UPC on Amazon either. I did find the UPC in Google and contributed the entry to Doghouse so that'll be found in the future there.
Did you have other UPCs where this is happening? I'd be happy to try those out as well and find out what's going on.
redheadedwoman

Post by redheadedwoman »

here's some of the other cds I've tried but gotten incorrect data:

The Byrds live at the Fillmore, Feb 1969 0886972484525

A Mediterranean Odyssey 0774213105042

John Prine - in Person and on stage - 0094012003920

there now is a pattern of incorrect listing - I've seen the same incorrect listing over again - with such titles as "the Complete Christmas Collection" from Deutsche Grammophon, a Leonard Bernstein collection and a classical quartet collections, as well as issue of Nov 19 LISTEN magazine, but this happens only sometimes. Should I try and turn off ArkivMusic and see what happens?

Now just got the correct information for the Kate Bush cd, DIRECTOR'S CUT. But trying the other cds once again, still incorrect on those.
redheadedwoman

Post by redheadedwoman »

turned off ArkivMusic, now getting 'no match' messages on John Prine, the Byrds cd listed earlier, should I pare down my search sites? Did finally get a match on the Dylan. Been checking the UPC code after it 'dings' on the iSight, and that number is correct.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The only matches (outside of the Amazon search) I could find for those UPCs were on Italian sites, you're right. (And turning off ArkivMusic is definitely a good idea if you won't be doing any searches for classical music.) I've added the entries to Doghouse but of course if you keep running into this problem then that is not a perfect solution.
Have you considered signing up for the Amazon searches? You can find out more about that in the Help file and on our blog. If you'd rather not get an associate ID, download the program once more from our website and the associate ID will use a default Bruji one if you don't enter another.

After you have entered your keys into the Amazon Settings window and the sites appear in your Sites list, make sure you arrange the order again, probably with Amazon US towards the top so that when you use the 'All' search option, that'll be one of the first sites the program searches.